AOP part 23: 8 Compositional Failures
This is a tight profile shot from the same space. There are several failure points on this shot.
Not sharp enough: at f4 I have not quite nailed the focus and it is just slightly unsharp around the eye.
2) Insufficient light shaping: Maja's face looks very flat and has no three dimensional quality to it. This "broad" light has made the face look very big.
3) Poor separation: particularly around the nose there is very little separation from background to subject.
4) Inattention to details: the awkward laces on the neck collar to the right of the picture are a distracting element.
5) Inattention to details: this location is very mucky and you can see on Maja's hands that she has picked up dirt there as she's been working.
6) Distracting detail: the tattoo on the shoulder is a distracting element and also is just cut in the crop.
7) Not enough clean-up: Maja has two piercing marks in her ear, one on the lobe and one at the top. I should have Photoshopped those out.
8) Not quite a profile: we can just see the far eye and the lashes slightly interfere with the thumb.
This is an excerpt from "Anatomy of a Photoshoot" which gives a complete breakdown of two days shooting with a full in-depth step by step review of everything that I do.
It is available on Amazon