The Year End Interview
In which I answer all sorts of questions relating to the end of 2009....
1. What did you do in 2009 that you'd never done before?
Make a video all by myself - it was a present for my wife - a video of me singing "I Scare Myself" - which was the music we used for our first dance when we got married.
2. Did you keep your new year's resolutions, and will you make more for next year?
Um, no. It was to get rid of my tummy - think I'll repeat it this year.
3. Did anyone close to you give birth?
Good kentwell friends seem to have been popping out babies like nobodies business this year!
4. Did anyone close to you die?
Thankfully no, I've had too much of that already.
5. What countries did you visit?
Much less travelling this year, did get out to Ireland, but we did in-country travelling this year.
Next year I think it's time to get around the world a bit more
6. What would you like to have in 2010 that you lacked in 2009?
More commercial/fashion work
7. What date from 2009 will remain etched upon your memory, and why?
I can't do dates, but the floods at the mill were very memorable.
8. What was your biggest achievement of the year?
Still being here!!
9. What was your biggest failure?
Being nominated for, but not winning Photographer of the Year
10. Did you suffer illness or injury?
I've been good this year
11. What was the best thing you bought?
I'm very pleased with the money spent on re-furbishing the office. It's not quite a "thing", but I spend so long there I'm really glad I did it.
12. Whose behaviour merited celebration?
This year I've been blessed with working with so many great models and wedding couples.
I really enjoy working with models who bring intelligence, talent and beauty to our shoots and that's been terrific.
But I've also been really lucky to shoot weddings with really great couples this year, who have been such fun and radiated such love.
13. Whose behaviour made you appalled and depressed?
Bankers and their bonuses - the fat cats, completely lacking in humility and if I hear the phrase "we can't retain competent staff without big bonuses" again I shall really throw my toys around. Like they've been competent this year?
Never mind the fact that so many very competent workers in so many other fields have lost their entire livelihoods thanks to these experts.
It's been so sad to see a number of my photographic colleagues close up shop this year.
14. Where did most of your money go?
Moving house (again)
15. What did you get really, really, really excited about?
Setting fire to a wedding dress
16. What song will always remind you of 2009?
Lovesong by Snake River Conspiracy - although its been around for a while it really bit me this year.
17. Compared to this time last year, are you:
i. Happier or sadder? Happier
ii. Thinner or fatter? Thinner
iii. richer or poorer? Poorer
18. What do you wish you'd done more of?
19. What do you wish you'd done less of?
20. How will you be spending Christmas?
A quiet time and the longest holiday I've had in years, at home with the family
21. Did you fall in love in 2009?
22. How many one-night stands?
None. Hey, I'm a married man for one thing!!
23. What was your favourite TV program?
True Blood - especially the title sequence.
24. Do you hate anyone now that you didn't hate this time last year?
No. Hate is such a wasteful emotion
25. What was the best book you read?
Probably Stig Larsons Millenium Trilogy
26. What was your greatest musical discovery?
Moulin Rouge Soundtrack - volume 2 - I loved the film and love the music
27. What did you want and get?
A new car
28. What did you want and not get?
A focussing fresnel spotlight
29. What was your favourite film of this year?
500 Days of Summer - romantic and so reminds me of my feelings of love
31. What did you do on your birthday, and how old were you?
People joke about my lack of memory, and do you know it really is bad - I can't remember my birthday - I think we might have gone to see the stage version of Lion, Witch, Wardrobe
33. How would you describe your personal fashion concept in 2009?
War on Collars - actually in the process of getting completely designer clothes made to my specification
34. What kept you sane?
35. Which celebrity/public figure did you fancy the most?
Miranda Raison = who played Jo Portman in Spooks and was killed off (Spooks is now on boycott from me, she was the only reason I watched)
36. What political issue stirred you the most?
Oddly the whole Prof. Nutt / Ecstasy / Horse-Riding thing - mostly because this should be personal choice
37. Who did you miss?
My brother Tony
38. Who was the best new person you met?
Crikey - this is not b*****x but I've met some really good people this year, but special mentions go to Tessa, Pixie, Tina
39. Tell us a valuable life lesson you learned in 2009:
That even though I treat people simply, straight and honest - not everyone else does.
40. Quote a song lyric that sums up your year:
"Come what may"
Would you like to take better photographs?
Would you like to take a big step forward in a photography career or as a keen enthusiast?
"Master Your DSLR" is a comprehensive course is provided completely online, in your own time, at your own pace.